May 02, 2014

The Maali

This is life as usual in my home town -   My dad messages me "the maali was offering to bring over a cow that was going for cheap. Mom refused."
While I hysterically laugh at the fact that a cow is being marketed around as casually as a piece of furniture, it seems to have been taken with remarkable equanimity by my dad. 
It set me thinking about other such weird happenings in the hinterland. Officially the city is classified as a Tier 2 city. Reality defies easy categorization so a recounting of the happenings even I find amusing seems a better way for everyone to draw their own conclusions. This is the maali episode. 
The aforementioned, cow-bartering maali also moonlights as a watchman for the house. So he finishes up his gardening duties which mostly consist of abandoning the garden to fetch things from the market on the whims of my mom, then he disappears for a few hours and turns up post dinner and goes to sleep in a little cabin. To his credit, he definitely looks the part of a ferocious guard so if any potential chor decides to check a darkened cabin before robbing the house he will surely be scared by his sleeping countenance. 
At least for a while the maali/nightwatchman double agent thing worked. But then it turns out he also turns into a kleptomaniac every Tuesday because that's the day the bottle gets the better of him. So one Tuesday, inevitably, shenanigans ensued and he got fired. I still think it's a shame because even though he wasn't much of a security guard he certainly looked the part and every Tuesday some entertainment was assured. 

More episodes of "life in a small town" to follow!


No comments: